Ingredients For Making Buttermilk Biscuits
1 tbsp/Baking powder / 2 cup Flour
3/4 cup Milk, 1/4 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Shortening
cookie cutters/cookie sheets
dinner forks / mixing bowls
pastry blenders / rolling pins
spatulas mixing bowls
Directions To Make Homemade Biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Use a dry fork to stir flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
3.Using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips to mix the flour and baking powder, until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
4. Make a whirlpool in the center of the mixture and add 3/4 cup of the milk. Stir with a fork until mixture is moist.
5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead gently, turning the dough, until soft and smooth.
6. Roll dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut biscuit shapes out of the dough using a biscuit cutter or a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter.
7. Place biscuit rounds on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes or until golden on the bottom.
Tips & Warnings For Homemade Biscuits Making
1. Try buttermilk instead of regular milk.
2. Try using half whole-wheat flour or one-quarter cornmeal.
3. A 1/4-cup or 1/3-cup dry measure can do for a biscuit cutter.
4. For lower-fat biscuits, reduce the shortening to 2 tbsp. (They will not be as luscious.)
5. Biscuits, especially lower-fat biscuits, are best right out of the oven.
6. Don’t over-knead the dough or it will be tough. Just knead until it all comes together nicely.