Braised lentils with chard and a poached egg is a recipe for winter, maybe it’s the chilly weather or the desire for simple, inexpensive meals, but this is one of the best delicious recipes of those “put an egg on it”, which makes the meal top of any lunch or dinner with some sunny protein, especially when that meal involves braised lentils and silky ribbons of chard. Now, let us learn how to make so delicious food!
Ingredients You Should Prepare
|1/2 pound chard (1/2 bunch)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 cup dried green or brown rinsed lentils
|2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Cut the center stems from the chard and dice them the same size as the onions and carrots.
2. Cut the chard leaves into strips and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and chard stems and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the lentils, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme and cook, stirring for 1 minute, add the water and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked but slightly al dente. ( If necessary, add more water, a little at a time, to make sure the lentils are just barely covered.)
6. Remove and discard the bay leaf (and garlic, if desired). Add the chard leaves, cover the pan, and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the chard leaves are wilted. Seasons the lentils with vinegar, salt and pepper. (Meanwhile, fry or poach the eggs.)
7. To serve, divide the lentil and chard mixture between dishes, garnish with parsley, and top with eggs.